- 100g dried corn kernels
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- 25g salted butter
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Flavourless oil
- Cook the corn according to the packet instructions. Discard any kernels that have not opened and set the rest aside.
- Place the empty popcorn pan over a medium heat and add the sugar & salt. Heat until the mixture caramelises, swirling the pan rather than stirring, until the caramal is a mid-golden colour. Stir in the butter and cook gently for a further 30 seconds.
- Lower the heat and carefully add the bicarbonate of soda: the mixture will bubble up. Stir until combined, then immediately remove from the heat, add the cooked popcorn and stir until it is well coated.
- Tip the popcorn on to a greased baking tray and leave at room temperature to harden. Do not put the mixture in the fridge or it will become sticky. Once cooled and creasp, break any large chunks into small pieces and store in an airtight container.
From: Gordon Ramsay’s Ulimate Homecooking